Wednesday, December 17, 2008

My Other Passion

Yes, there is more to life than agility.

About three years ago I revisited knitting. I remember learning to do all kinds of needle crafts as a girl. Both of my grandmothers taught my sister and me to embroider, crochet, sew, and knit. The sewing part never worked out for me. As a Brownie in Girl Scouts we had to sew a "sit upon"--your basic square mat. Mine looked more like a rumbus. Sewing is not my thing. Jack says a button fell off his shirt. So? What do you want me to do about it? Hate. It. If there are two lines, one for a beating and one for sewing, I'm in the line for a beating.

However, knitting and crocheting always worked well for me, so I stuck to it. As a young girl I crocheted a lot. Mainly dumb stuff like doileys and placemats--your basic rectangles. Then as a teenager I got away from crafts and onward to better things like dancing, boys, and rock 'n' roll.

Our bodies have a kinetic memory. When I got back to knitting as an adult, it was like riding a bike. Only this time I had the patience and interest to improve. I started with wash cloths just to get back into the groove. It was also easy to try new stitches with a wash cloth project. Then I looked around for small projects, ones that would be satisfying in that you could create something within a short amount of time. Large clothing objects like sweaters hold zero interest for me. I settled on socks, and I found a new passion. What fun!

At first my socks had two or three boo-boo's. They were fixable, but they were boo-boo's. Then I improved my skills and started knitting socks with zero mistakes. Now I looked around for patterns that would stretch my skills. I found an awesome web site called knitting help.com. The videos were just what I needed to learn some new stitches. I bought some pattern books and downloaded some patterns from the web. Now I'm making lace patterns in the socks, leaf patterns, and cables.

I found this quote in a knitting calendar I had last year and really liked it. I share it with you now:

A Prayer Before Knitting
A blessing to my knitting to be a work of heart and hands, body and spirit
A blessing on the one who passed this ancient art to me
A blessing on the one who will receive the fruit of my prayer and my knitting

I don't have a picture of any of my knitted items. I seem to always give them away as gifts. And that is why I knit--to be able to give something I made to someone and have them enjoy it. It's such a satisfying and wonderful hobby.

2 comments:

Acadia Shelties said...

I used to knit a lot. I have made a number of sweaters (and yes- given most of them away as gifts- isen't that the best part?). I have wanted to get back to knitting, but things keep getting in the way. It was nice to read this post and see there is still hope.
Cadie

Sheltie Owner said...

Cadie, I find knitting to be a soothing activity. When the hustle and bustle of the day is done, it's comforting to sit and mentally zone out with my knitting. Sometimes the TV is on, but most often it's quiet. And the dogs...as soon as I get out my knitting basket, they all find a comfortable place to snooze. They know it's time to chill.
Bonnie