Thursday, March 5, 2009

Wobble Board

Today Anna and I will be going to the airport to pick up her friend Kelly. She's coming for the weekend; she lives in Toronto. I have not met her yet. I hope she likes my dogs!

Anna says that Kelly is thinking about getting a dog. Has she come to the right place or what!? I have an arsenol of information to share on the subject, including my own biases toward herding breeds. I'm sure we can find a good fit for her.

Last night in agility class Aurora got an introduction to a wobble board. I'm often asked, "What's the most difficult obstacle to teach in agility?" Many think it's the weaves. Pice of cake. Actually, it's the teeter. It's the only obstacle that moves...and that can be quite the frightening experience for the dog. Thus, you start the dog out with the wobble board, getting them used to the sensation. Aurora worked the board, not liking it much. Most dogs don't.

The funny side effect was that when we got home, Aurora totally konked out. She was asleep in Anna's lap and snoring so loudly that we had to shout to be able to talk to each other. =:O)

Sometimes we forget that dog training is also a mental exercise and can be tiring.

No comments: