Thursday, April 23, 2009

Flea and Tick Control

The spot flea and tick control products (like Advantage and Frontline) are now being evaluated by the EPA. Apparently there are reported incidents of seizures and other severe reactions, even death.

What do you use to control fleas and ticks on your dogs?

Brisco was always so sensitive to these products. I give my dogs a garlic and brewer's yeast biscuit every day. Those two ingredients are said to be a homeopathic solution to keeping these litter buggers at bay.

Fleas and ticks carry so many diseases that I want to do something to protect my dogs and my family. What to do? I'm eager to hear your ideas and current solutions.

3 comments:

Kathleen Stoltzfus said...

Oh well, you know me - I'm pretty casual about flea and tick control - only use it when I see a need. Yes there is a risk associated, especially with ticks, but the thought of pummeling the dog's system with insecticides seems even worse. But that's just me. We all have to do what we feel is best.

Diana said...

Well, in the south you have to use flea and tick control . It doesnt get cold enough and you can get fleas all year long. I try to only put it on my dogs every other month or every third month. So far that still works for us. Diana

Sara said...

I use frontline only every other month during tick season (april-oct). I give both my dogs the lowest dose available, regardless of their weight. My first sheltie had a horrible reactions to BioSpot and Advantix. I do believe the ingredients in those two products contributed to his prostate cancer. All these topical products make me nervous, but ticks and lyme disease are a huge problem where I live.

Here is an interesting website on the safety of various products.
http://www.greenpaws.org/products.php