Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Knitting

My *other*, non-dog passion in life is knitting. Last year I went to the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival for the first time. I was on sensory overload! So many exhibits to see, touch, and smell. I went with the perfect companions--Marcia and Kathy.

Marcia is a spinner. She's spun fiber into yarn for years and is quite the awesome knitter. I've learned so much from her. She's my knitting mentor.

Kathy owns Shetland sheep and sheared her sheep for the first time last year. I was fortunate enough to get some of this fiber after it was spun into yarn. It was glorious to work with unprocessed (no dyes or chemicals) yarn. At the Festival she had me trudging to the barns, but once I was there I was amazed at the variety of sheep breeds. How interesting! Now Kathy is learning to spin as well. There is no end to her artistic talents and interests.

This year the Festival will be special because my sister is coming for a visit just to be able to go. So Marcia, Kathy, my sister and I will be off to the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival the first weekend in May. My sister is quite the artist and gifted craftperson (is that a word?!). With her eye for color and design, I should be able to get some wonderful yarn and ideas for a new project. I'm ready to branch out and make larger projects. Right now I'm knitting mostly small items like socks, hats, and gloves. Could there be a sweater in my future? I'm hoping for guidance and a bit of inspiration.

2 comments:

Kathleen Stoltzfus said...

Yes, yes! A sweater with wood tree-branch buttons!

Sheltie Owner said...

Sounds lovely! I'm ready to go for it.

And I have those buttons to inspire me. Jamie will help, I'm sure.