Friday, July 16, 2010

Brilliant Recalls

Susan Garrett, the agility trainer extraordinaire, is conducting an on-line course to help you get brilliant recalls from your dogs. After reading the course outline and her blog page, I decided to participate in the course. So exciting! The course begins August 1.

When Cosi and I are ringside at a trial, he can focus on me if we play games with treats. But just standing with me--like when we're waiting our turn in line--gets him so excited because he sees other dogs on course, running. He wants to get out there and run; his focus goes from me to the agility course. Then running the course excites him (tunnels really do a number on him) and by obstacle #4, he's a loon. He can't think or focus, and the usual things happen: a bar drops, he goes off course, or blows past an obstacle.

The purpose of this on-line course is to play games with your dogs to keep their focus on you even in the face of distractions. I want to use these games to have tools I can use as Cosi and I wait our turn at the gate. The bonus is going to be playing these games with all my dogs. What fun!

I'll keep you posted on our progress.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

As long as you play the games w/ everyone. OK !!!