Friday, June 24, 2011

Foundation, Foundation, Foundation

Just like the real estate world has the mantra "location, location, location," I think the dog training world should have the mantra "foundation, foundation, foundation." It's all the work that goes into making a great dog a great dog, not necessarily a great sport dog. I think I'm one of the odd balls that loves foundation work. Most people skip over this to go on to the more exciting things like jump grids and contact work. I am most pleased when someone (a non-agility person) tells me what nice dogs I have. That's the foundation work shining through.

I signed up for another on-line, Susan Garrett course. This time the topic is...have you guessed yet? Foundation! It starts in a week. I'm eager to get started. I love her approach to training through games. I want to teach more balance work and incorporate more trick training into our routine.

No comments: