Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Traveling With Dogs

Cosi's breeder, Mary Galloway, sent me this photo of Cosi and Riot when Cosi was a pup. Look at those loooong legs. LOL

If any of you are on the AGILEDOG list service, you've read about the agility competitor, Judy Shinogle, who was killed last weekend on her way to a trial. This accident has touched many people across the country. I remember when there was a similar accident--although, luckily, the driver lived--closer to home. It spurred me to take some precautions. I'd like to share some tips for traveling with your dogs.

Secure your dog in the vehicle in a crate or in a dog seat belt. A loose dog will suffer injury in case your vehicle tips or swerves.

Get your dog a "traveling" collar with his name and a phone number on it. I have an agility trial collar I always put on Cosi. There are no tags on it so he's safe with it in a crate. It has his name and my home phone number written on the collar.

Put contact information and a description as well as a recent photo of your dog in a plastic sleeve, and attach it to the dog's crate with zip ties. For example, I put my vet's name and number, my home phone number, my spouse's cell number, Cosi's breeder's name and number. In other words, anyone who could help in an emergency whether it's take care of the dog medically or take them in if need be.

My heart goes out to Judy's family. The blessing is that she was a person who touched others' lives, and she will be remembered always as someone who loved her dogs. That's a fitting tribute.

No comments: