Thursday, May 14, 2009

Knitting

I've taken on a new project--knitting my first ever garment. I've made hats and scarves, and I'm the Queen of Socks. Socks are my favorite because they're a quick project with so many variations (cables, patterns, lace, etc.) that I don't get bored.

When we went to the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival, my sister and I chose a butterscotch colored yarn for this project. I found a vest that you can knit on circular needles. For you newbies out there, knitting in the round means NO sewing of seams. The only sewing on this vest is at the shoulders. Most other patterns would require you to make three pieces (left front, right front, back) and sew them together.

I began it last weekend, and it is a very simple pattern so it's going quickly. I think the final touch will be using the wooden buttons Kathy made for me on the one shoulder.

Here's my vest in progress. I've finished the body and am working on the left front shoulder piece.

3 comments:

Diana said...

It doesnt look simple to me. LOL It looks great. Diana

Kathleen Stoltzfus said...

Yeah! You go girl!

Sheltie Owner said...

Kathy, I don't know if this one is a "keeper" yet. I may try the pattern a second time with some tweaks (like using 2 strands of yarn instaed of one). When I get a final product I like, I'll use the buttons, for sure.

Thanks for your encouragement.
=:O)