Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A Proud Mommy Moment

Wow! I was *so* proud of my Mike yesterday...

Ever since he was a pup, Mike (see photo at the top of this page) was very body sensitive. If he was in a heightened state, excited or stressed about the environment and you touched him, he would scream. It was a cross between a yip and a yelp. We've always called it Mike's Squeek. As he got older, I could tell by the set of his ears when a squeek was coming. I would warn him that I was going to touch his belly or pick him up. He would suck in a breath and hold it, as if saying, "Oh! Go Ahead. I'm ready!"

And yet Mike is a very loving, sweet Sheltie. He just wasn't a pick me up and cuddle kind of dog. When people come to visit, we tell them about Mike's squeeks and that if he yells, don't feel bad. It's not you.

Now here's my proud mommy moment. We have house company (five people) staying with us this week. Last night I came out onto the porch to see the one person (a stranger to Mike) vigorously petting Mike's ears and head. First it was a stranger touching him. Secondly he was touching the most intimate part of Mike, his head. AND NOT A SOUND. Mike was not even doing that avoiding head slant move he used to make.

I gave him a treat and told him what a Big Boy he is! He then went to the top of the couch and hung out with us on the porch, watching the activity from above. I was thrilled that he never squeeked nor did he leave the busy area with people milling about.

Acadia One No Trump you are da bomb!

3 comments:

Acadia Shelties said...

GOOD BOY Mikey! I am so proud of you too!! GOOD BOY!
Cadie

The Bradley Dogs said...

That a boy, Mike! You are truly the Big Boy now! The Bradley clan is proud of you.

Cool Design Shelties said...

Well done Mikey :o)

//Bente