Thursday, November 4, 2010

Puppy Fever

Cosi as a puppy.

Last night in class I heard that a member of our agility club got a Sealy puppy. Anna's talking about getting a Whippet puppy. A co-worker got a Labradoodle puppy. Geez! Is it in the water, or what?! There seems to be a rash of people getting puppies.

Who can resist the sweet faces--no matter what the breed--and that smell of milk breath? We all know that the cutest puppies are Shelties with those rounded muzzles and almond-shaped eyes. I got all of my dogs except Cosi as puppies. Jenny was the oldest puppy at 4 months. Cosi was a year and a half when he came to us. Having gone through the potty training, the chewing, the socialization at the right time, I'd now take an older dog any day. Yes, there is something about the "blank slate" of a puppy; some older dogs come with "baggage." Cosi was, by far, the easiest dog I've ever raised. I know a lot of factors go into that (his breeder obviously did an excellent job with him), but he was already housebroken and knew some basic manners. It was just getting him into our routine and bonded with me that was our focus for the first six months.

Best of luck to all you new puppy owners. I'm available for puppy holding and cooing...but I don't think I'll be getting a puppy anytime soon. =:O)

3 comments:

Caren Gittleman said...

Love me some Sheltie puppies!!

My Sheltie says hi!!

Cat Chat http://opcatchat.blogspot.com

Patti and DeBoys said...

We agree SHELTIE pups are the CUTEST! We even stay cute...never out grow the cute stage WOL :)

JackPDB said...

You know you shouldn't, but it's so hard to resist once you look into those sad little eyes, I know...
- - - - -
Jack@PDB
dog beds and more