Friday, February 27, 2009

Book Suggestions

When I need to drive any distance—short or long—I would rather listen to an audiobook than music. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy music and have a iPod that has been a life saver at work sometimes. But for driving, I’d rather “read” and enjoy a good book.

And that brings me to my question: What book recommendations do you have?

I’ve read a number of Dean Koontz books and enjoy the suspense that he creates. But I like non-fiction as well as fiction. Love mysteries, comedies, and romance, but above all, a great story in any genre is essential. I use electronic services to get my books in mp3 format, and I need help finding books. What key words should I be using? If you don't know what to search for, it's difficult to conduct a search. =:O)

My favorite topic, of course, is dogs and anything about dog training, dog learning, and dog psychology. I own all the James Herriott books; they are my absolute favorites. I drag them out again and again, like favorite slippers, worn and comfortable. You know what’s coming but still laugh and cry at the same places.

I need some new books for the upcoming agility season. When I’m driving to a trial at 4 a.m., I want a good story to make the trip fun.

Thanks for any suggestions…

4 comments:

Rohan Shelties said...

OK, Im not sure if theyre your type of book, but let me just say: The Harry Potter Series on CD has SAVED MY LIFE! Nott only on those 4 am agility morning drives, but I also took a job in Maine (about an hour drive each way) last year, and they really kept my mind busy! I have read the books SEVERAL times (more times than I care to admit...) but I ALWAYS find something I missed in the CD's. The author does each voice individually so theyre really easy to get taken away with. Needless to say Ive missed my exit a few times because I was so "into" the story!
Hope this helps, and good luck at the trials!!
Sheltie Hugs,
Sheltie-Mom Jenn, Heidi and Shelby

Sheltie Owner said...

Thanks! I, too, have the hard-cover HP books, but an audio version would be such fun. I hadn't thought of that. Talk about a great story!!

Bonnie

Diana said...

Ive just started reading some books by Mary Kay Andrews. The first one I read was called "Hissy Fit". Very funny and has romance in it too. I read another one called "Ity Bity Lies". I liked this one too but the first one was better. I just started another one called Savannah Blues. Ive only read a few pages but its been good so far.

Sheltie Owner said...

Diana, thanks for the good tip. I'll check it out on iTunes.
Bonnie