Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Westminster

The Westminster Kennel Club dog show was on last night. The hound, terrier, non-sporting, and herding groups were judged. I enjoy watching conformation shows. I play a game called let’s shop for breeds. “If you could have any dog, what would it be?” Kind of like the “What would you do if you won the lottery?” game. Here are my thoughts and comments on last night’s groups. Remember: I’m no expert, just a fan. I’m sure Cadie can offer better insights.

Hound Group
I only like one hound—the PBGV. Love that face, that coat, and that happy-happy temperament. Brisco and I followed a PBGV in agility for a number of trials. Libby is a great example of the breed, happy as the day is long.

Terrier Group
Here I’m more of an experienced commentator as we had numerous terriers in my childhood. My mom is definitely a terrier person. As soon as the Scottie was on the table, I was under his spell. What a glorious example with his attitude bristling out of every pore. My grandfather had a Scottie named Sir Wellington Woof, Woofie for short. There’s a story in our family that Woofie tried to corral a horse in a field. The horse kicked him in the head, and Woofie had to have stitches. When grandpa brought him home, he ran out and bit that horse. Woofie was my grandpa’s dog and would give no one else the time of day. My mom adored him. I was glad a Scottie won.

Non-Sporting Group
Why don’t they just say, “The Poodle Group” because that’s all that ever wins this group. I’m not angry or prejudiced; I’m just being realistic. Yes is a beautiful Standard Poodle and deserved the win. However, I’m sure the other handlers are saying, “Aw, come on!”

Herding Group
Now you’re talking! This is my favorite group as I love the look, attitude, and work ethic of these dogs. I must say, though, I was *not* impressed with the Sheltie. He didn’t have any pizzazz; he was flat. The Terv, however, was glorious and showed his heart out. I was so disappointed when the Puli won. Ick. The Terv was 10 times more showy. Well, from my vantage point, anyway. =:O)

Tonight we get to see the Sporting, Toy, and Working groups and, of course, Best In Show. Speaking of Best In Show, have you ever seen the movie? Hilarious.

1 comment:

SquirrelGurl said...

I just found my way to your blog, great reading!!

I too agree that the non-sporting group should be called the "poodle" group. They are neat dogs but someone else should win from time to time!

And, hopefully someone other than the Toy Poodle will win the Toy group!

I felt the same way about the sheltie, he was lacking in the personality department. Maybe just tired?